Harlem Link Parent Association
About the Harlem Link Parent Association
Harlem Link’s Parent Association (HLPA) is an independent organization led by parents of students at the school. HLPA works with the school’s parent coordinator to organize monthly meetings and workshops at the school and to provide resources and communication for parents and other school community members. HLPA’s main purpose is to establish and maintain a high level of parent participation in the education of their children. Emphasis is placed on the commitment of parents to be engaged through participation in school events, community outreach, political activism and fundraising. HLPA also sponsors a number of special events throughout the school year including fundraisers, outreach efforts and cultural celebrations.
The HLPA officers for the 2014-15 school year are:
- President - Ms. Carty is the proud mother of two wonderful children. Her oldest, Syrai is in fifth grade. Ms. Carty has over ten years of experience working in schools, planning events and assisting parents. She believes that parents are their children’s best support system as well as their voice when they are not being heard. She also believes that the Parent Association’s main objective is to inspire children and provide support to parents. She wanted to improve her children’s education by joining the Parent Association the third year in a row.
- Even before her daughter started Harlem Link, Ms. Carty was volunteering at various events. She can’t wait to continue her work of planning events and helping parents and students.
- Vice-President - Ms. Montanez is an excited first grade Harlem Link parent. The opportunity to serve as vice-president of the Harlem Link’s Parent Association is, in many ways, tailor-made for Milly. She served as president of the Harlem Link Parent Association last year, and president of Charity's Headstart center for 2 action-packed years. Together, Milly and the PTA members succeeded in securing vital resources for the center. Milly came to realize the incredible power of a partnership between parents, school leadership and the local community.
- Milly kicked off her term as Harlem Link’s Parent Association President by serving as a 5th grade mentor and joining Harlem Link parents and thousands of other parents on a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to a City Hall rally in support of charter schools.
- Along with President Tesse Carty, Milly plans to engage parents through an inclusive campaign to expand parent interest and participation in the HL school community and its activities. Sending flyers home and making robo-calls are excellent tools for reaching out to parents, however, Milly and Tesse have an additional strategy. They plan on connecting with parents, one parent at a time.
Events in 2014-15 include but are not limited to:
- Thursday, October 9th – Alumni Night
- Thursday, October 30th – Halloween Ball
- Wednesday and Thursday, November 19th and 20th – Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, December 11th – One World Celebration
- Thursday, January 22nd – Picture Day
- Tuesday, February 3rd – Charter School Advocacy Day in Albany
- Thursday, February 13th - Black History Month Celebration
- Wednesday and Thursday, February 25-26 – Parent-Teacher Conferences and NYC Surveys
- Monday, February 23rd – March 3rd – Scholastic Book Fair
- Monday, May 4th – Friday, May 8th – Teacher Appreciation Week
- Thursday, May 28th - 6th Annual Spelling Bee
- Monday, June 22nd – Friday, June 26th – Spirit Week
- Tuesday and Wednesday, June 23rd and 24th – Parent-Teacher Conferences