Harlem Link Parent Association
About the Harlem Link Parent Association
Harlem Link’s Parent Association (HLPA) is an independent organization led by parents of students at the school. HLPA works with the school’s parent coordinator to organize monthly meetings and workshops at the school and to provide resources and communication for parents and other school community members. HLPA’s main purpose is to establish and maintain a high level of parent participation in the education of their children. Emphasis is placed on the commitment of parents to be engaged through participation in school events, community outreach, political activism and fundraising. HLPA also sponsors a number of special events throughout the school year including fundraisers, outreach efforts and cultural celebrations.
The HLPA officers for the 2013-14 school year are:
- President - Ms. Montanez is an excited kindergarten Harlem Link parent. The opportunity to serve as president of the Harlem Link’s Parent Association is, in many ways, tailor-made for Milly. She served as president of Charity's Headstart center for 2 action-packed years. Together, Milly and the PTA members succeeded in securing vital resources for the center. Milly came to realize the incredible power of a partnership between parents, school leadership and the local community.
- Milly kicked off her term as Harlem Link’s Parent Association President by serving as a 5th grade mentor and joining Harlem Link parents and thousands of other parents on a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to a City Hall rally in support of charter schools.
- Along with her Vice President,Tesse Carty, Milly plans to engage parents through an inclusive campaign to expand parent interest and participation in the HL school community and its activities. Sending flyers home and making robo-calls are excellent tools for reaching out to parents, however, Milly and Tesse have an additional strategy. They plan on connecting with parents, one-parent-at-a-time.
- Vice President - Ms. Carty is the proud mother of two wonderful children. Her oldest, Syrai is in fourth grade. Ms. Carty has over ten years of experience working in schools, planning events and assisting parents. She believes that parents are their children’s best support system as well as their voice when they are not being heard. She also believes that the Parent Association’s main objective is to inspire children and provide support to parents. She wanted to improve her children’s education by joining the Parent Association the second year in a row.
- Even before her daughter started Harlem Link, Ms. Carty was volunteering at various events. She can’t wait to continue her work of planning events and helping parents and students.
Monthly Meetings: First Thursday
In the 2012-13 school year, most meetings will be held on the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 pm. The meeting schedule for this year is:
- Thursday, November 15- Meeting Topic: Debt Reconciliation Workshop
- Thursday, December 13 - Meeting Topic: TBD
- Thursday, January 31- Meeting Topic: NY Sports Club Healthy Living for Kids & Adults Workshop
- Thursday, February 28
- Thursday, April 4
- Thursday, May 30
Events in 2012-13 include but are not limited to:
- Thursday, December 6th - The Winter Festival
- Thursday, January 17th - Picture Day
- Wednesday, February 13th - Black History Month Extravaganza
- The Science Fair - (June 2013)
- The Student Showcase Exhibition (TBD)
- Thursday, May 23rd - 5th Annual Spelling Bee
- Harlem Link Carnival (May 2013)
- Harlem Link Spirit Week (June 2013)
- The Spring Yellow & Royal Blue Formal Benefit (TBD)
We hope you attend these events and find them as exciting and fulfilling as we do!