Harlem Link Parent Association
About the Harlem Link Parent Association
Harlem Link’s Parent Association (HLPA) is an independent organization led by parents of students at the school. HLPA works with the school’s parent coordinator to organize monthly meetings and workshops at the school and to provide resources and communication for parents and other school community members. HLPA’s main purpose is to establish and maintain a high level of parent participation in the education of their children. Emphasis is placed on the commitment of parents to be engaged through participation in school events, community outreach, political activism and fundraising. HLPA also sponsors a number of special events throughout the school year including fundraisers, outreach efforts and cultural celebrations.
The HLPA officers for the 2013-14 school year are:
- President - Ms. Montanez is an excited kindergarten Harlem Link parent. The opportunity to serve as president of the Harlem Link’s Parent Association is, in many ways, tailor-made for Milly. She served as president of Charity's Headstart center for 2 action-packed years. Together, Milly and the PTA members succeeded in securing vital resources for the center. Milly came to realize the incredible power of a partnership between parents, school leadership and the local community.
- Milly kicked off her term as Harlem Link’s Parent Association President by serving as a 5th grade mentor and joining Harlem Link parents and thousands of other parents on a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to a City Hall rally in support of charter schools.
- Along with her Vice President,Tesse Carty, Milly plans to engage parents through an inclusive campaign to expand parent interest and participation in the HL school community and its activities. Sending flyers home and making robo-calls are excellent tools for reaching out to parents, however, Milly and Tesse have an additional strategy. They plan on connecting with parents, one-parent-at-a-time.
- Vice President - Ms. Carty is the proud mother of two wonderful children. Her oldest, Syrai is in fourth grade. Ms. Carty has over ten years of experience working in schools, planning events and assisting parents. She believes that parents are their children’s best support system as well as their voice when they are not being heard. She also believes that the Parent Association’s main objective is to inspire children and provide support to parents. She wanted to improve her children’s education by joining the Parent Association the second year in a row.
- Even before her daughter started Harlem Link, Ms. Carty was volunteering at various events. She can’t wait to continue her work of planning events and helping parents and students.
Events in 2013-14 include but are not limited to:
- Thursday, November 21st – Alumni Night
- Friday, November 22nd – Fourth Grade Middle School Workshop
- Thursday, December 12th – Winter Festival
- Tuesday and Wednesday, December 17th and 18th – Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, January 30th – Science Fair
- Tuesday, February 4th – Charter School Advocacy Day in Albany
- Wednesday, February 13th - Black History Month Celebration
- Tuesday, March 11th - Picture Day
- Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11th and 12th – Parent-Teacher Conferences and NYC Surveys
- Monday, March 17th – Friday, March 21st – Scholastic Book Fair
- Monday, May 5th – Friday, May 9th – Teacher Appreciation Week
- Thursday, May 29th - 6th Annual Spelling Bee
- Monday, June 23rd – Friday, June 27th – Spirit Week
- Tuesday and Wednesday, June 24th and 25th – Parent-Teacher Conferences
We hope you attend these events and find them as exciting and fulfilling as we do!